Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Sumåhi Six Months Old Birthday

Two weeks ago, Sumåhi turned 6 months old. In celebration of her birthday, and for the miracle that she is still alive after being in my care for 6 months, I wrote a poem for her. Though I enjoy poetry reading, I am not much of a poet, so please endure.


For Sumåhi

Yesterday is still near,
Tomorrow is yet far away,
Listen to the silence of the night.
The night breeze kisses the coconut leaves
Leaving me drunk by the soft, sandy beach.

Thirst drives me down to the water
Where I drink the Moon’s reflection.
Now I glaze up into the heavens
As the moon completes her waxing,
Totally lost in love with her true self.

Her lashes,
The silhouette of coconut leaves against the full moon.
Her eyes,
The stars that guide the navigators whose travel in the ocean.
Her smile,
The warmest glow in the dark, frosty night.

In her light,
I found strength.
In her beauty,
I found my only bond with the heavens.
In her love,
My life became complete.

She leads my way
As I lead hers,
We walk towards the heavens
Which embrace us with great warmth.

In them,
I found Home.


No comments: